- January 23, 2023
Chances are, you know the importance of properly setting grommets in your posters and signage products, but have you ever thought about what the best material is for these grommets? Brass, aluminum and stainless steel are the most commonly used grommet materials, however depending on the application, there is often a winner among the three. When it comes to posters and signage products, brass grommets are the clear winner. In this article, we elaborate on the different kinds of grommet materials as well as explain why brass grommets are the best when it comes to signage products.
Common Materials for Grommets
Brass, aluminum and stainless steel each has their own advantages when it comes to grommets.
- Brass: Grommets for signage products tend to be metal based as they are both functional and durable. The industry standard is a plain brass grommet. They are also the most commonly used in the market today. Brass grommets are also very easy to set with a basic arbor press as well as fully automated dual feed machines. Brass grommets with a nickel finish are the most durable for outdoor products as the nickel finish adds an extra layer of protection from the elements. Brass grommets are also the most cost effective for the level of holding strength.
- Aluminum: Aluminum grommets are another choice for signs and banners but due to softness of aluminum, they do not stand up in applications where pressure may be applied to the grommet. They are also harder to achieve a good setting for the same reason. The price of aluminum has risen in recent years and since aluminum grommets are used less and thus produced in smaller quantities, the cost difference versus brass has narrowed significantly. The cheaper price had been the one advantage that aluminum had over brass but this is no longer true. Aluminum also tends to oxidize quickly in an outdoor environment making it unsuitable for out signs and banners.
- Stainless Steel: Stainless steel grommets are the most durable of the 3 metals but they are also the significantly more expensive than nickel plated brass. Stainless steel is a very durable metal but it is also the most difficult to set because of the metals stiffness. For these reasons, stainless steel is mostly used in salt water environments.
When it comes to posters and signage products, brass grommets are the obvious choice. Why is this so? We list out several reasons for you below:
- Brass does not rust and is non-magnetic. This will keep your sign or postage looking fresh for a long time to come especially if they are nickel plated. However, do take note that there are brass and nickel plated steel grommets that contain another metal within it. To check what material your metal grommet is made of, simply hold a magnet to it. If the magnet is attracted to your grommet, it is brass or nickel plated steel and will eventually rust.
- Brass grommets can withstand harsh weather conditions, making them ideal for heavy-duty applications.
- Brass grommets are available in a wide range of sizes to suit the material of your sign, be it thick or thin. In additional, self-piercing varieties are available as well.
- Brass is also the most economical considering the durability versus price.
Shop with Siska Inc. for Brass Grommets
If you are looking for the perfect brass grommet for your poster or signage needs, Siska Inc., is sure to have what you are looking for. We operate on the premise of delivering “Quality Without Compromise” and aim to be a leading distributor of a wide range of industrial items, ranging from grommets and eyelets to setting machines and setting dies. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our items, or would like advice in choosing the right grommet for your project, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly staff for assistance.